The Fair Work Act 2009 (the Act) requires that every new employee is given with a copy of the Fair Work Information Statement as soon as possible after the commencement of their employment. The Statement need only be given once every 12 months if the employee works on an intermittent basis. You can download from;
The Statement contains information about:
- the National Employment Standards (NES),
- modern awards and agreement-making under the Act,
- freedom of association,
- the roles of the Fair Work Commission and the Fair Work Ombudsman,
- entitlements on termination of employment or transmission of business,
- individual flexibility arrangements, and
- rights of entry.
Failure to provide the Statement to a new employee is a breach of section 125 of the Act, and could result in penalties of $63,000 for a business and $12,600 for an individual for each breach.
It is recommended that each employer include the Statement in an induction package for each new employee.